Fall School on Documentary Linguistics in the MENA region ( Middle East and North Africa )
Endangered Languages Documentation Programme,
SOAS University of London &
Leibniz-Zentrum Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft (ZAS)
Berlin, October 10-17, 2018
A one week fall school on theory and methods in modern language documentation focusing on the MENA region will be held at the Zentrum fuer Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft,
The school will provide training in theory and methods of modern language documentation to students and scholars who are working on endangered languages and are living in the
There are 25 places available for the school and all costs will be covered by the Endangered Languages Documentation Programme.
Topics to be covered include:
- Introduction to documentary linguistics
- The MENA context
- Language use and multimodality
- Semantics and lexicography
- Equipment for digital recording
- Recording techniques (audio & video)
- Data collection methods
- Creating digital collections
- Data management & archiving
- Software tools for Documentation (e.g., ELAN, Flex)
- Grant Writing (applying to ELDP)
To be eligible, applicants must fulfil all of the criteria below:
- Reside and study/work in a MENA region country.
- Minimum of BA or its equivalent involving linguistic training.
- Some fieldwork experience or have concrete plans for doing documentation work on an endangered language spoken in the MENA region
- Be committed to and have a plan for transferring the knowledge they acquire to others in their universities and countries
To apply complete the online application form below by 1 April 2018.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome no later than 1 May 2018.
For any questions, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
Saloumeh Gholami (www.iseil.org)
Manfred Krifka (www.zas.gwz-berlin.de)
Mandana Seyfeddinipur (www.eldp.net)